Having spent the last couple of days being forced to get out of bed early, it was nice to be able to have a lie in this morning!
I certainly made the most of the spare time making up for three early mornings in a row but reading for a little while (something I haven't done enough of this trip) and then eventually dragging myself into the shower at about 11:15. Let's be honest, if it wasn't for coming to Singapore, that's what I would have been doing with myself everyday anyway!!!!
After refreshing myself with yet another cold shower (.... got tricked this morning because when I went to wash my face the water was hot, but when I got in the shower, it was back to being freezing again!) I spent some time on the computer doing a few tasks that had been requested of me.
Finally got round to going to the post office too, to get some stamps for the postcards that I've had written for about a week. It cost me $5.00 (£2.50) for ten stamps, which is about what you pay for a single stamp in England these days! Those will be winging their way to you via the efficient Singapore postal service!
I've done my best to avoid Western food wherever possible whilst being in this country so far, but today I couldn't resist and went into McDonalds! I guess this doesn't really count as being a typical "foreigner" as this was after I had already eaten my lunch, and I needed to finish it off by getting a McFlurry.
It's surprising to me how long it has taken me to get an ice cream since coming to Singapore as it is perhaps my most favourite food in the whole wide world! I must definitely increase my ice cream consumption! Perhaps that's why I have been feeling so tired these days!
This evening we got the chance to go and watch an S-League game between two local teams in the top division of Singaporean football. I say top division loosely, as from my previous experience with the game last week, there aren't any Singaporean Lionel Messi's coming through at the moment!
The two teams playing were Gomback United and Young Lions; the 9th and 10th best teams in the country on current league positions. Young Lions are a team made up of players under the age of 21, and it showed in the early stages as they seemed a touch nervous to be playing against slightly more experienced opponents.
Before the match, James introduced me to the owner, head coach and team manager of Gomback United so I had a rooting interest in them winning the game. They didn't disappoint with a slightly dodgy 1-0 win that didn't do much to entertain us, but at least it was an opportunity to get out of the house!
The first game that I went to see last Thursday was of a much higher standard, though I can't complain too much as the tickets were complementary!
Tomorrow it will be back to coaching (well refereeing for me) and then onto training with a team of expatriates in the evening. I haven't yet decided whether I will be coach or player coach!
The only one who can tell me I'm not good enough is you. And even then I may not agree with you.
No comments:
Post a Comment