Monday, 3 September 2012

Think Like a Man

Today hasn't been a terribly exciting day (they can't all be, even when you're abroad!) but it's given me a good opportunity to reflect on some of the things that I have seen and learned whilst I have been here.

Schools in Singapore are on holiday this week so we were out coaching early this morning.
Rather than running from September to July (a little bit strange in the first place) schools run from the beginning of the year, January to December. I'm not entirely sure of the format, but I would presume that their long holidays are towards Christmas instead of ours which take up the whole of August.


We're usually working at a secondary school coaching girls football on a Monday afternoon, but we had been asked to go down in the morning this week instead.
Even though they were off school, the girls were encouraged to come in and do their football session as they have a tournament coming up in a few weeks that they are attempting to prepare for.


As far as ladies football goes, I have had very little involvement in it. I can say that I did watch the 2011 World Cup Final, but aside from that the game doesn't interest me almost half as much as the male equivalent (go ahead, make a sexist presumption!)
Part of the reason is that there is very little opportunity to become involved in female football back home in England, although I do remember coaching a few sessions to year tens and elevens when I was in sixth form, but that was about it.


I went and coached the girls team on my first week in Singapore, but didn't go back last week so it was nice to return today. The one benefit to coaching girls over boys is the fact that they actually listen and attempt to follow the advice you're giving them (ah, see, not to sexist now am I?!) Unfortunately boys have a tendency (not to generalize) to be of the opinion that they already know anything anyway.
When you ask the girls to follow instruction, they usually do it, and often things they do are without prompts.


We only had twelve turn up this morning (last time we had 23), but we still had a good session and finished with a little game which was good fun.

Although I felt rather lifeless when I woke up this morning, I was feeling slightly more motivated by the time it came to the afternoon. I personally blame it on the heat, but it probably has to do with the time I go to bed, and also how much I am consuming in terms of food and water.

Asian food, as I discovered in Korea, isn't the most filling at the best of times, and in Singapore that seems to be replicated. Often times I find myself wishing I'd have asked for an extra portion or had an opportunity to get a desert with every meal!
Sometimes it's not too bad as a dinner containing rice or noodles (as 99.9% of meals do) can be quite filling if there's a decent amount of meat to go with them. Being a bit of a vegetable dodger, perhaps its my own fault.

The temperature does play a major factor though. I must have sweated here more than ever in my life before. It's so warm on some occasions that it really motivates you to do nothing. I'm all for a bit of warmth, but stifling heat which makes you feel dizzy and sick is probably a bit much.
I'm doing my best to drink as much water as possible, but it's a big pain whenever I go out having to take a litre bottle of water for me.

The time I usually need a drink most is when I'm out coaching, or when I come back. The only problem is, Singapore is pretty strict on people eating and drinking on the nice clean MRT that they have banned people doing both. So when you want a drink, which is sold in convenience shops inside the station, you can't actually drink them or have to go back out so that you can enjoy your beverage before getting on the train. Not the most convenient set-up if I'm honest!

It's obviously difficult being in a different culture, and slightly unfamiliar surroundings, but I think I am doing pretty well considering the challenges I am facing.

After getting back today I have spent most of my time on the computer sorting out a few things. I thought I'd save some more exploring for a day when I actually have more time to get out and do things.
Really enjoyed my trip to Sentosa yesterday and I would love to go back there one afternoon to the beach.

Definitely also planning going back to the Central Business District to admire all the skyscrapers there, and also to the Marina Bay area one evening so that I can see what I will be missing out on when the Singapore Grand Prix takes place in a couple of weeks time.
"What do you call the three rings of marriage? Engagement ring, wedding ring and suffering."

No comments:

Post a Comment